Military Aviation


The rebuild team lovingly referred to the F-15C as Patches, due to the noticeable amount of repairs on the aircraft

The following article, titled ‘A Flying Memorial’ Part I, and written by Airman 1st Class Delaney Rose, 325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs, tells the story of how a badly damaged F-15C Eagle was rebuilt to honor Tech. Sgt. Robert Wade, a Kadena Air Base crew chief who lost his life because of a helicopter accident.

Tragedy struck the hearts of many in September of 1993. What seemed to be an exciting day for crew chiefs and maintainers, in a matter of seconds, turned into a day of sorrow after a helicopter accident took the life of a comrade.

Before the accident, Airmen from the 67th Fighter Squadron (FS) at Kadena Air Base, Japan, took advantage of their free time to grab lunch after successfully launching the unit’s F-15 Eagles for their mission.

“On our way back, we noticed Tech. Sgt. Wade walking to work and enjoying his cigarette prior to reaching his unit,” said then Staff Sgt. Keith Hamn, 67th FS F-15 crew chief. “Our maintenance expeditor stopped to ask if he needed a ride, he thanked us, but wanted to finish his walk.”

Unbeknownst to them, it would be the last time they would see or hear from Wade again.

“A short time later, we received word that Tech. Sgt. Wade was severely injured when a taxiing helicopter’s rotors struck a light pole, sending fragments in all directions and unfortunately into Mr. Wade,” Hamn said. “We were later informed that Tech. Sgt. Wade succumbed to his injuries.”

The helicopter involved in the 1993 accident at Kadena Air Base, Japan, sits in a hangar.

However, Robert Wade’s life and service to his country would not be forgotten and would live on through an unexpected way.

Some of the helicopter’s rotor fragments made their way across the flightline, inflicting major damage to aircraft 78-484, an F-15C.

Aircraft 78-484, was nearly condemned by the Air Force and sat in a hardened aircraft shelter for over two years, where it was used for parts, said retired Senior Master Sgt. Ronald P. Wagner, an F-22 Raptor simulator technician with the 325th Training Support Squadron.

The Air Force eventually found some required structural pieces and assigned me and my team to rebuild the aircraft,” Wagner added.

Wagner was only a staff sergeant, working as a crew chief with the 67th FS when he was tasked with the rebuild project.

This rebuild was no simple undertaking. It took a lot of dedication from the maintainers who brought the F-15C back to life.

Members of a rebuild team stand in front of Patches, the F-15C Eagle involved in the 1993 accident at Kadena Air Base, Japan, for a photo.

“The rebuild required an in depth inspection of every inch of the aircraft,” said Lawrence Riggins, a senior airman assigned to 67th FS as a crew chief during the time of the rebuild. “Every hydraulic line, wire bundle, panel and bay had to be thoroughly inspected for damage, missing parts, and foreign object damage.”

The F-15C became a cannibal aircraft, meaning its parts were used to repair other aircraft and, prior to the rebuild, was thought to be headed to the boneyard, a place for retired aircraft to be stored or used for scraps. “The initial number of open discrepancies for components took up about 1,600 pages of aircraft forms,” Wagner noted. “At three discrepancies per page, we were looking at about 4,800 discrepancies. But, that was only what was documented.”

The rebuild, although a challenging task for many, became a rewarding experience for the 67th FS crew chiefs who were assigned to its reconstruction.

“I have always loved a challenge and knew this would be one of the most difficult of my career,” Wagner said. “But it also brought with it a chance to learn, teach and lead folks toward a difficult but attainable, measurable and meaningful goal.”

After almost a year of hard work and determination, the time for the F-15C to soar again was inching closer and becoming more of a reality.

“Now, we maintainers can be a strange bunch,” Wagner said. “We talk to our jets and we give them names. Heck we even attribute many things the aircraft does to its ‘personality.’ In reality though we all know they are just well-engineered bundles of metal and wires and electronics. But every so often something wonderful really does happen.”

The rebuild team lovingly referred to the F-15C as Patches, due to the noticeable amount of repairs on the aircraft.

The F-15C Eagle involved in the 1993 accident at Kadena Air Base, Japan, sits in a hangar before repairs were made by a rebuild team.

Airmen and vehicles from three maintenance units at Kadena Air Base, Japan, lined the flightline, awaiting the takeoff of Patches, an F-15C Eagle. After being assumed dead for almost three years, she was to soar again. The crowd cheered with pride at the sight of her take flight. The rebuild team, who pieced the jet back together were proud of their accomplishment; for she flew in remembrance of an Airman who lost his life, U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert Wade.

The aircraft was released back to the unit for normal flying after three verification sorties in time for an important mission, Wagner added.

Now, in 2017, Patches still flies till this very day, honoring her fallen comrade, and the maintainers who spent almost a year repairing her to her former glory.

The jet was recently part of a Temporary Duty Assignment at Tyndall from Nellis for a couple of weeks in support of the 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group’s Weapons System Evaluation Program.

“It was fantastic being able to see the jet at Tyndall after dodging retirement and serving over two decades in the Air Force,” Wagner noted. “So many great [F-15] Eagles have been sent to the boneyard. Here, still in the inventory, still punching holes in the sky, is a jet so many people wanted to see succeed and has. It feels great to say, ‘We did that.’ For the one unique time and place in our careers we got to do our regular job, fix jets, and affect many people in a positive way. Every day she flies is a mini-victory.”

Retired U.S. Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Ronald P. Wagner, a Boeing F-22 Raptor simulator technician with the 325th Training Support Squadron, stands in front of an F-15C Eagle at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., Sept. 21, 2017.

Photo credit: Sarah English / U.S. Air Force

Dario Leone

Dario Leone is an aviation, defense and military writer. He is the Founder and Editor of “The Aviation Geek Club” one of the world’s most read military aviation blogs. His writing has appeared in The National Interest and other news media. He has reported from Europe and flown Super Puma and Cougar helicopters with the Swiss Air Force.

View Comments

  • I remember this day clearly. We were sheltering our Eagles for a super typhoon bearing down on us that Friday. That line about 'some of the fragments making their way across the flightline' is grossly in error! It all happened right there in front of our shelter! 484 and another jet were parked in front of the shelter as we were backing the first one in. The JG drifted to his right to give us additional clearance when his rotor hit the concrete pole. To be honest, I didn't even realize those ancient poles were there! Bob Wade was leaning against the left intake of 484 waiting for the JG to pass by so he could continue his walk to work when the rotor-y oscillator hit the piece of sh!t pole. A large chunk hit Bob and essentially took out the left side of his chest. One blade chunk went thru the centerline tank, others skipped off the concrete and ricocheted up into 484. In the end, the side of 484 was torn up, the interior of the left intake was totalled as chunks went in the inlet and rattled around. As it were, I was the first one at Bob's side. Nothing I could do... I can run the entire video back through my mind. Very ugly day. Bob's wife worked in Support in my section. She was on duty at the time and was probably the last one to find out. Bob's name was placed on the Guardian F-15 in the Air Park as DCC, a newly built road was named 'Wade's Way'. I still get feelings every time I run through this. Bob, I didn't know you, but you were April's second Dad, April is a good friend of ours. Rest in Peace, Bro!!

Recent Posts

That time Thunderbirds delayed their display because they were scared by an SR-71 doing a low-level fly by in afterburner above their F-16s

The Blackbird The SR-71 reconnaissance aircraft was the world’s fastest jet-propelled aircraft and the most… Read More

5 hours ago

C-130 crew members explain why they didn’t carry parachutes to abandon the Hercules in flight

The ejection seat In aircraft, an ejection seat is a system designed to rescue the… Read More

2 days ago

Iconic USMC AV-8B Harrier jump jet flies final public performance at Cherry Point Air Show

AV-8B Harrier jump jet flies final public performance On May 11 and 12, 2024, Marine… Read More

2 days ago