Martin-Baker Mk18 ejection seat for KF-X

KAI aims to roll out first KF-X prototype in 2021

By Dario Leone
Jul 4 2018
Share this article

South Korea wants critical design review of KF-X by September 2019

According Yonhap News, South Korea has completed the preliminary design review (PDR) of the KF-X fighter and the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) plans to achieve critical design review (CDR) by September 2019.

“The PDR has been finished successfully to decide whether to proceed to a critical design review (CDR),” Jung Kwang-sun, head of the DAPA’s KF-X Program Group, said. “We plan to complete the detailed design process by September 2019 … and then begin the production of a prototype.”

Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) aims to roll out the first KF-X prototype in 2021.

Noteworthy as we have reported in April, Martin-Baker’s Mk18 ejection seat has been selected by KAI for the KF-X fighter program.

Martin-Baker says the “Mk18 for KF-X is a similar seat to the one currently in competition for the US Air Force new trainer jet, the T-X.”

The Korea Aerospace Industries KF-X/Indonesian Aerospace IF-X is a joint South Korean and Indonesian program aimed to develop an advanced multirole fighter for the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) and Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU). The program is spearheaded by South Korea, holding 80% shares, and Indonesia, the primary partner, holding the remaining minority of 20% of the shares. The KAI KF-X is South Korea’s second domestic jet fighter development program, following the FA-50.

Photo credit: KAI


Share this article

Dario Leone

Dario Leone

Dario Leone is an aviation, defense and military writer. He is the Founder and Editor of “The Aviation Geek Club” one of the world’s most read military aviation blogs. His writing has appeared in The National Interest and other news media. He has reported from Europe and flown Super Puma and Cougar helicopters with the Swiss Air Force.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Share this article


Share this article
Share this article

Always up to date! News and offers delivered directly to you!

Get the best aviation news, stories and features from The Aviation Geek Club in our newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.



    Share this article
    Back to top